This privacy notice was last changed 23rd july 2018.
Who we are
We understand how important privacy is to visitors of the Galactic Unite website located at http://www.galacticunite.com (the “Site”) and those who engage with Galactic Unite. Galactic Unite is an outreach programme that encourages participation in our journey. It is operated by Virgin Galactic LLC. This Privacy Notice explains how Virgin Galactic LLC ("we"/"us"/"our") collects, handles and discloses your personal data as a data controller in respect of the Galactic Unite Programme.
About this Privacy Notice
Your personal information is collected by us. This Privacy Notice describes, among other things, the types of information collected about you when you visit the Site; how your information may be used and when it may be disclosed; how you can control the use and disclosure of your information; and how your information is protected.
Our contact details are as follows:
Post: Galactic Unite, 16555 Spaceship Landing Way, Mojave, CA, 93501, United States
If you would like to access previous versions of this Notice please click on the link to archived policies at the top of this page. Alternately you can email email@example.com for previous versions.
Data collection and usage
We collect and process personal information as part of our Galactic Unite Programme which provides scholarships, mentoring and local community grants including across New Mexico and Southern California and the UK. We will collect store and use your personal information for the purposes set out in more detail in this section. This includes where we are operating the Site or communicating with you about our scholarships, mentoring and local community grants.
What information we collect and how we use your data
1. Information you provide when you fill out our New Mexico, Southern California & UK Community Grants Criteria & Application Form or otherwise apply to become part of the Virgin Galactic Unite community including:
- Your contact information, (e.g. your full name, email address, address and phone number);
- Information you may provide in response to any survey we request that you complete (e.g. organization, role, project location, project title, sector, project goal & objectives and project timeline);
- Information you provide in correspondence between us;
- Information you provide as part of your enquiry (e.g. project goal & objectives and project timeline; details of other project key stakeholders and budgets
- Information you provide about any outside organization (e.g. other not-for-profit groups) that may play a role in funding and executing projects
We use this information, including to:
- Get in touch with you about scholarships, mentoring and local community grants
- Assess your suitability for the Virgin Galactic Unite outreach programme
- Understand the best means to communicate with you;
- Manage, provide and administer our Galactic Unite scholars, mentors and outreach programme
2. Information when you communicate with us whether in person, through our Site, via email, over the phone, through social media, Google Hangout/ SpaceChats, at one of our events/ tours or via any other medium, including:
- Your contact details (this may include your full name email address, telephone number, full postal address, your role or title at school or organization, age range, Google+ profile, school ‘grade’, and social media account details if that's the way you communicate with us);
- The details of your communications with us, including when you sent it, when we received it and where you sent it from (e.g. our Site, via email, through social media);
- The details of our messages to you;
- Photographs and videos of you at our events;
- The name of the event you attended and where you were sat; and
- Email signature details.
We use this information, including to:
- Respond to your requests/ enquiries regarding Spacechat or our events/ tours;
- Respond to your submissions of ideas and applications;
- Answer any issues or concerns;
- Administer and promote our events/ tours and use details and images of our tours/ events for promotional purposes;
- Develop new products and services based on the information you provide; and
- Improve our services based on the information and feedback you provide and the information and feedback provided by others.
3. Information that we collect through your use of our Site including:
- Device information e.g. IP address;
- Mobile device information e.g. whether you use iPhone/ Android/ Blackberry/ Windows etc.;
- Hardware and browser type/settings and operating system information;
- Details of the requests you make;
- The webpages you visit (including before and after visiting the Site) and search engine terms you use;
- Webpages and advertisements that you view and links you click on within the Site;
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies (see below for more information on how we use these ); and
- Standard server log information.
We use this information, including to:
- Operate our Site;
- Tailor our communications to you and to improve our Site and services;
- Provide and adapt our services to take account of the technical capabilities of our users;
- Assist us in understanding what type of content we could deliver to them via our email marketing cloud;
- Conduct internal trend analysis, marketing, financial and operational analysis and studies;
- Analyse the use of the Site and to improve our Site, products, and services;
- Develop new services based on the information being collected, the behaviours of our users and the technical capabilities of our users;
- Improve our services to better suit the behaviours and technical capabilities of the users of our service;
- Identify issues with our Site and user's experience of it;
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities and comply with legal requirements; and
- Monitor the way our Site is used (including locations it is accessed from, devices it is accessed from, understanding peak usage times and analysing what functionality and information is most and least accessed).
4. Information that we collect incidentally from other sources or public sources, including:
- Information available in the media;
- Information presented on our social media or wider social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram; and
- Information collected by security systems.
We use this information, including to:
- Maintain market awareness;
- Build and maintain social media branding;
- Provide security to our Site;
- Assess your suitability for our outreach programme; and
- Manage, provide and administer our outreach programme experience.
5. All B2B data (e.g. data relating to our vendors, business partners and other business contacts):
- Contact Information (e.g. name, email address, phone number);
- Name of the vendor/ business partner; and
- The role of our contact within the vendor/ business partner organisations.
We use this information including to:
- Administer the business relationship and agreement between us and the third party business partner/ vendor;
- Carry out verification checks; and
- Provide our services to our scholars and mentors
why we use personal information
We collect and use your information (as detailed above) for a variety of reasons.
We will use your personal information including where:
This is necessary to enter into or perform our contract with you – e.g. our B2B contracts or using your contact details to on-board you into our outreach programme.
This is necessary to comply with legal or regulatory requirements or as is necessary in the public interest – e.g. disclosure of information to law enforcement.
We have collected your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate business interests (as set out in more detail below).
Some personal information is treated as falling into a special category (e.g. medical information). We do not collect / use these categories of data unless we have your explicit consent for the relevant purpose or is necessary in connection with legal claims or court proceedings or reasons of substantial public interest.
We have a legitimate business interest in managing our business including:
Operating and understanding how our customers use our Site including assessing the number of visitors, posts, page views, reviews and followers in order to optimise future marketing campaigns (including web analytics);
Understanding and responding to customer feedback and ideas;
Administering our operations in an efficient and effective way, including by engaging with third party technology and other service providers;
Maintaining a public profile on both traditional and social media;
Ensuring network and information security;
Fraud prevention and detection;
Maintaining suppression records to ensure we have a record of your objection to direct marketing (if given);
Transfer of personal data in relation to the sale, transfer or re-organisation of all or part of our business and the acquisition of business; and
Further any other legitimate interest’s purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information.
If you would like further information on our legitimate interests as applied to your personal information, please contact us using the contact details above.
We need to collect certain types of information for compliance with legal requirements relating to our obligations. In certain circumstances, if this information is not provided we cannot agree to provide a product or service for you and we will inform you where this is the case.
Your personal information may also be processed if it is necessary on reasonable request by a law enforcement or regulatory authority, body or agency or in the defence of a legal claims or to protect and defend the legal rights, interests, and safety of the Galactic Unite outreach programme, the Virgin group and their employees, agents, and contractors (including enforcing our contractual rights), users of our Site, and members of the public. We will not delete personal information if relevant to an investigation or a dispute. It will continue to be stored until those issues are fully resolved.
How long do we keep your information
We will keep your information for as long as it is reasonably necessary. We will also retain your information as necessary to comply with legal, accounting or reporting requirements.
Information we share
There are certain circumstances where we transfer your personal data to employees, contractors and to other parties.
We share information about you with other members of our affiliates, subsidiaries and group of companies so we can provide the best service across our group and for administrative, management, accounting and reporting purposes.
We also share your information with certain contractors, consultants or service providers. They may process your personal data for us e.g. if we use a marketing or sales agency. Other service providers include IT suppliers, cloud hosting providers, database providers, backup and disaster recovery specialists, our trusted medical experts, and email providers. Our suppliers and service providers will be required to meet our standards on processing information and security. The information we provide them, including your information, will only be provided in connection with the performance of their function. They will not be permitted to use your information for any purposes other than those outlined in this Privacy Notice.
Your personal information may be transferred to other third party organisations in certain scenarios:
- If we discuss selling or transferring part or all of our business – the information may be transferred to prospective purchasers under suitable terms as to confidentiality;
- If we are reorganised or sold, information may be transferred to a buyer who can continue to provide services to you;
- If we're required to by law, or under any regulatory code or practice we follow, or if we are asked by any public or regulatory authority – e.g. the Police; and
- If we are defending a legal claim your information may be transferred as required in connection with defending such claim.
Your personal data may be shared if it is made anonymous and aggregated, as in such circumstances the information will cease to be personal data. We may aggregate the information that we collect about you and other individuals by removing any personal data that directly identifies a user and by combining this information. This aggregated information may be used for our research purposes, and financial or operational analysis and planning, and it may be shared with third parties, including business partners and group companies in order to, for example, carry out analyses and to enhance and improve the quality and delivery of our products and services.
Where your information will be held
We are located in the United States. The information you provide to us is held and processed by us and our third party service providers in the United States.
If you are using the Site, corresponding with us, have applied to be/ are a member of our scholarship, mentoring and local community grant programme or one of our B2B contacts and are located in the EU, you may have certain rights in relation to your information. The availability of these rights and the ways in which you can use them are set out below in more detail. Not all the personal data that is listed in this Notice may be subject to the rights below. We will tell you on a case-by-case basis if this is the case. If you would like to exercise, or discuss, any of these rights, please contact us at Galactic Unite, 16555 Spaceship Landing Way, Mojave, CA, 93501, United States or at email@example.com with details of your request. Where we believe it is necessary to ensure that personal data is disclosed to appropriate individuals, we will ask you to provide an appropriate form of proof of your identity prior to responding to such request.
Access: you are entitled to ask us if we are processing your information and, if we are, you can request access to your personal information. This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and certain other information about it.
Correction: you are entitled to request that any incomplete or inaccurate personal information we hold about you is corrected.
Erasure: you are entitled to ask us to delete or remove personal information in certain circumstances. There are also certain exceptions where we may refuse a request for erasure e.g. where the personal data is required for compliance with law or in connection with claims.
Restriction: you are entitled to ask us to suspend the processing of certain of your personal information about you e.g. if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
Transfer: you may request the transfer of certain of your personal information to another party.
Objection: In addition, where we are processing your personal information based on our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) you may challenge this. We will consider your request in accordance with applicable data protection law. However, we may be entitled to continue processing your information based on our legitimate interests or where this is relevant to legal claims we may make or are made against us. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes on the basis of consent.
Automated decisions: you may contest any automated decision made about you where this has a legal or similar significant effect and ask for it to be reconsidered.
Communications: Please note that even if you unsubscribe to direct marketing messages, we still may need to send you communications relating to your use of the Site, where such communications are service or update messages, or regarding your participation in the Galactic Unite outreach programme.
You also have a right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State in the European Union where you are habitually resident where we are based or where an alleged infringement of Data Protection law has taken place.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer or mobile device if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to the hard drive of your computer or mobile device.
You can find more information about the types of cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them below:
Type of Cookie and Purpose of Cookie
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to browse our Site and use its features. The information collected by these cookies relate to the operation of our Site e.g. website scripting language and security tokens to maintain secure areas of our Site.
Performance / Analytics
These cookies collect anonymous information about how you use our Site e.g. which pages you visit most often, whether you receive any error messages, and how you arrived at our Site. Information collected by these cookies is used only to improve your use of our Site and never to identify you.
These cookies remember choices you make e.g. the country you visit our Site from, your language and any changes you have made to text size or other parts of web pages that you can customise, in order to improve your experience of our Site and to make your visits and use more tailored and enjoyable. The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and cannot be used to track your browsing activity on other websites.
Most internet browsers are automatically set up to accept cookies. However, if you want to refuse or delete any cookies (or similar technologies), please refer to the help and support area on your internet browser for instructions on how to block or delete cookies. Please note you may not be able to take advantage of all the features of our Site, including any personalised features, if you delete or disable cookies.
For more information on managing cookies, please go to www.allaboutcookies.org, or visit www.youronlinechoices.eu or http://www.aboutads.info which have further information about behavioural advertising and online privacy.
We are committed to keeping your personal information safe. We've got physical, technical and administrative measures in place to prevent unauthorised access or use of your information. Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information that you provide to us.
Links to third party websites
Our Site, and other communications may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of others including our partner networks, advertisers and other group companies and/or social networks as offered to you and supported by your browser.
The personal data that you provide through these websites is not subject to this Privacy Notice and the treatment of your personal data by such websites is not our responsibility. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy notices which will set out how your information is collected and processed when visiting those websites. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy notices of entities through which you chose to share.
Our Site is intended for adults, and we do not knowingly collect information from children or other persons who are under 13 years old. If you are under 13 years old, you may not submit any personal information to us or subscribe for the services. If you believe we might have any personal information from or about a person under the age of 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHANGES TO THE NOTICE
This Notice will be changed from time to time. If we change anything important about this Notice (the information we collect, how we use it or why) we will highlight those changes at the top of the Notice and provide a prominent link to it for a reasonable length of time following the change. If you would like to access previous versions of this notice please click on the link to archived policies at the top of this page. Alternately you can contact us at: email@example.com
HOW TO CONTACT US